Evidenced-Based Family Therapy
As a counseling center that focuses on evidenced-based treatments, MiMo Psychotherapy Group provides various empirically-based approaches to help families move out of crisis and back toward connection.
Among the approaches used in our practice is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for families experiencing relationship distress triggered by intense emotions without the skills to cope with these emotions. Sessions focus on learning emotion regulation skills, communication skills and distress skills to help couples come out of crises more effectively and avoid further crises in the future.
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is an empirically-based psychological intervention that uses acceptance and mindfulness strategies mixed in different ways with commitment and behavior-change strategies to increase psychological flexibility. Strategies from ACT help couples and families reorient toward their shared values to create a more meaningful life together that can withstand the vicissitudes of life.
The Gottman Method is a treatment for couples that has over 40 years research to support its effectiveness. Dr. John Gottman and Dr. Julie Gottman discovered that successful relationships tend to have certain things in common that can be learned and improved on in therapy with the help of The Gottman Method tools.
Gottman's 7 Principles of Successful Relationships
1. Solve your solvable problems. All couples have solvable and perpetual problems, but long-term couples solve those they can and understand there will always be perpetual problems.
2. Overcome gridlock. What often underlies perpetual problems are unfulfilled dreams. Talk about those dreams with the goal of making peace with the problem.
3. Create Shared Meaning. Develop the big and small rituals that help build the bond between and your partner.
4. Let your partner influence you. Making important life decisions as a couple helps strengthen the bond for increased resilience during times of stress.
5. Turn toward your partner instead of away during times of stress.
6. Nature fondness and admiration. Cultivate a positive view and deep appreciation for your partner as well as learn to express it.
7. Enhance your love maps. Learn you about your partner by getting to know them all over again.
MiMo Psychotherapy Group Miami, FL